Are schools prisons?

Home Forums For Teachers Are schools prisons?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Steven Steven 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steven

Twice this month so far I’ve seen a comparison between school and prison. One is a film called “the war on kids.” The film raises a lot of legit questions. The second is from a faculty member at Harvard. HARVARD! Yet so many are not listening. Is this comparison out of line? I’m not so sure. Richard Elmore link below.

Well, it fundamentally the compulsion to attend which is the common factor, escape from either has legal threats. In any free choice society the schools would have to be of such a quality that the students want to attend. The second issue is Extrinsic rewards unrelated to the subject. That is as a prisoner you will be allowed creating rewards for exhibiting behavior that fits the institution, ditto schools.

It is only those with a lot of money who can afford a progressive education, and can be freed from the shackles.

Steven

Love your post. Particularly the bit about extrinsic rewards. What boggles my mind is that so many resist what science tells us and that so many that don’t resist, don’t stand up and fight for it. I confess right now I’m a lone dissenter looking for anyone who is willing to allow children to be responsible, who will throw out gradebooks in favor of genuine feedback, who will allow children to explore and learn.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.